Saturday 17 March 2007

Long weekend

We have a long weekend here in Canberra. As usual, my gym is closed on Monday. I must go to the gym with the worst hours in world! I'm seriously considering changing gyms, as Fitness First is opening soon nearby. Mind you, I do like that Fernwood is only for women. And I'm sure that other Fernwood gyms in Canberra will be open. I just have to make the effort to get to one of them.

Today, I went to RPM. The class is definitely getting easier, although it's still a great workout. I took some advice that I was given earlier this week, and set the bike seat a little higher. I've been finding that my knees ache, and I was advised to sit so that my legs didn't bend to 90 degrees. It seems to have made a difference, but I guess I'll really know tomorrow.

Before RPM I did a Fat Burner session on the treadmill as a warmup. Afterwards, I signed up for Body Pump. I had a half an hour between the two classes so I had a coffee break. I haven't done the sitting around in the gym, reading a magazine thing before, but I didn't think I'd last through Pump without some rest.

Pump was quite a workout. Now that I've done it a few times, I put the weights up a little, and I could really feel them during the session. I can see that this is going to be good for me. I just have to organise my week to get more than one class a week in.

One thing I was really pleased by during the session. The instructor said "you can go lower" on the squats, and I was thinking "oh no I can't!" but I tried anyway. Amazingly, I found a little more. She kept saying it, which I thought was strange, so I had a look around at the other women, and realised that most of them COULD go a lot lower. It made me feel really good to realise I was doing a lot better than most of the women in the room. I've worked hard on having good form with my squats, and I've also worked on getting right down (benefits of a discussion I had with my brother, who's a serious gym person). It's great to see that it's working.

This afternoon I found myself really needing the power nap I'd laughingly suggested yesterday, so I gave in to it and slept for a couple of hours. I woke up starving, so maybe my body had been working hard on repairing all the muscles I tortured today. Either that, or it was just aware that I'd missed afternoon tea.

Tomorrow I might do the Body Balance session at the gym. I'm not 100% sure, as I'm not all that flexible, so it might just be a terribly disappointing thing to do. Still, until I try it I won't know.

On Monday, there's a group of us going for a run, which is a new thing for me. I'm quite looking forward to it. If I still have the energy I might get my backside across to one of the other gyms to pick up 25 points for a workout. It would be interesting to see what the Woden gym is like and to pick up a class timetable as I travel through Woden every day on the way to and from work.

Other than that, it should be a quiet weekend.

2 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

It sounds to me like the gym may as well make up a bed for you at the gym, you're there so much :-)a

Sarah said...

I always set the bike seat so I only have a slight bend in my knees at full extension on the spin bike ... I used to hate spin with a passion, now it's one of my fav classes!!

Sounds like a good move checking out the Woden gym.