Sunday 7 October 2007

Women's and Girls' Jogalong

I went along to the Women's and Girls' Jogalong today. Info about the event can be found at the ACT Cross Country Club website, Canberra Runner. In summary, the jogalong is held on the first Sunday of each month. The course takes runners through the pines on the edge of the lake at Weston Park, Yarralumla.

I was still sore when I woke up, but I'd told Kelly I'd meet her at 8 am so I got msyelf into my running gear and headed on out. I wasn't at all sure I'd be able to run. Just walking was requiring a tremendous amount of effort. I was really glad that I'd arranged to meet Kelly, as I don't think I would have made the effort to go if I hadn't already committed to meet her. Even as I headed off I was telling myself I could choose the walk option instead of running.

As jogalong novices, we were there bright and early. Neither of us knew exactly where the course was, but we had no trouble finding it from the directions Kelly had been given. As we were so early, we wandered over to the lake to look around. I'd ridden past the area on my bike once before but it's much better seeing a place on foot. The walking did me the world of good and I felt as though I'd be able to do the run. We met up with Krissi and Brad (he was off on his own run) and then Jess arrived. I love the fact that there's a group of us doing this together. It adds so much to my overall enjoyment to be seeing how well the others are doing.

The jogalong starts differently to other runs. The walkers and slower runners head off first. Groups head off at regular intervals. Kelly and I went in Group 10 and Krissi and Jess went in Group 30. The idea is that people all finish together. There's a handicapping system so they can work out who wins, but I've no idea how that works. Now that I've done an event they'll have an idea where I should be starting. I think I should maybe have started a little later, but there was no way to know which group would be the "right" group.

My time at SiS was a little over the 7 min/km mark, so I figured the 6 kms would take me between 42 and 45 minutes. I forgot to turn off my Garmin when I crossed the line, but I figure it took me just under 44 mins. I was pretty happy with that, given how sore I was. The run itself was really enjoyable. I managed to run up all the hills. I did some of my usual run / walking, which Krissi is determined that she'll train me out of. I'd be pleased if she did, as I'd like to be able to run the whole way. I know it's my head that's stopping me rather than my fitness. I'm absolutely hopeless at pacing myself. I'm hoping my brand new Garmin will help me with that.

Speaking of my brand new Garmin, today was the first day I used it. I am downloading Sports Tracks at the moment, as I've been told it's a great way to keep track of my data. All these running accessories!

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a really fun idea for a run :) I've not succumbed to the Garmin temptation as yet though I might soon.

Celeste said...

You'll have to post the maps of where you run from Sports Tracks. My Percy is a Garmin 205 and he draws very pretty pictures for me! I'd love to see where you run.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Not another person for to have Garmin-envy of!

Seriously though, it will really help your pacing, I hope you enjoy it as much as I love my Polar!

jojo said...

i love my new garmin ... ihavent used sports track yet though.. i agree that youll be running instead of run walking soon!