Tuesday 16 October 2007

Pool Running

This morning I really struggled to get going, which isn't like me. I've been thinking about why this was the case, and I have put it down to two things - I ate way too many carbs way too late in the day and I didn't go to bed early enough. Since I've developed the habit of eating a relatively healthy diet I find that I really notice the effect of "bad" days. I figure that's a good thing. I just have to start paying more attention to it when I'm in the "eat everything in sight and then look for more" mood.

Anyway, I refused to give in to lethargy, especially as I'd arranged to meet Sally, so I dragged myself out of bed and into my bathers. By the time I'd put my cycling gear on over the top I was feeling a lot better. When I got outside and realised that it was a beautiful morning I was really pleased that I'd made the effort.

I wasn't the only one struggling this morning. Sally was half awake when she arrived at the pool. It just goes to show how sensible it is to have an exercise buddy.

The session we did today involved a 5 min warmup, 2 sets of 6 x 1:30 hard/30 easy with a 2 min easy break in the middle, followed by a 5 min cooldown. I'm pretty sure that our 1:30 / 30 was all over the place but we were in the pool for the required time and we were both had tired legs riding home. I did notice today that I wasn't as exhausted in the afternoon, so I think I'm starting to adjust to this new form of exercise.

Sally will get the results of her bone scan on Thursday. I'm hoping that the news is as good as is possible for her. I can see that pool running is a different experience for me than it is for her, as I'm choosing to do it rather than feeling that I'm being forced to do it. Still, she's out there working to maintain her fitness while managing her injuries, which really impresses me.

One of my sisters is in Canberra for work and she's staying with me tonight, which is lovely for me. I've been looking forward to seeing her all day. We had dinner at Sammy's Kitchen, which is a fabulous Chinese restaurant in Civic and we're now idly chatting while watching TV and blogging.

Tomorrow is National Ride to Work day, so I'll be heading off to work on the bicycle. Now all I need to do is work out which of my two new tops to wear. At least I have them neatly hanging in my wardrobe as per Style Consultant guidelines!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou from The Girls

You are very generous and we are very appreciative :0)

jojo said...

I LOVE hanging out with my sister!

Andrew(ajh) said...

Hope ride to work went well!