Monday 31 December 2007

Shopping as sport

I may not have done any running today but I have certainly managed to shop!

This morning I headed over to Highpoint for a few essential exercise bargains. Nike Women were having 25% off everything in the store, so I bought myself two new pairs of capri running pants. These ones have the zip pocket, which is great. I was tempted to buy more stuff while I was there, but I have decided that I'm back to focussing on weight loss when I return to Canberra. I'll be changing sizes again regularly, so I'll make do with the tops I already have.

I cruised past Jag to see if the jacket I spotted last week was still there. Fortunately for my credit card someone else has that particular bargain. I then visited Rebel Sport, where I tried on some rash vests and decided that the necklines were too high for me. I have been trying to work out what to wear when I do the swim leg of the triathlon, but I think another bargain I spotted has solved the problem for me. There's this hardcore-looking sports store near Rebel that sells whey powder and has really muscular sales staff. I was in there the other day admiring some of the gear when I spotted Enell bras for 10% off. That's a decent saving. Also, I bought my last one online so I was saving the postage and handling too. (Sorry about the detail guys, but we gals have to point out every cent we saved to truly enjoy a bargain.)

The store had my size in black. I figure that I can cope with a black bra showing under my swimsuit. A white one would have looked too daggy, but black will look like a regular crop top (I think). I will test it out when we do the lake familiarisation sessions in a few weeks.

Back in Rebel Sports I bought myself some knee and elbow guards for my next cleat-related ground-impact session. I also bought a new food and exercise diary and a pedometer. When I left Highpoint the carpark was full, so I was glad I'd made the effort to get there early.

Later in the day I took my Mum to the doctor and then we went shopping. Not as much fun as my earlier expedition but definitely good for Mum. She is feeling frustrated that her heart operation hasn't resulted in an immediate recovery to champions league shopping but her doctor reminded her that she is still healing. Oh, and there was an added benefit. Mum bought me lunch. I love being able to exploit senior citizens by allowing them to spend their money on me.

After visiting three supermarkets and several other stores, albeit at 'walk slowly and sit down often' pace, we came home. Mum is currently recovering with a power nap. One thing that the expedition brought home to me is that it's a good thing that I decided to work on improving my health and fitness now. Hopefully I won't need the replacement heart valve or suffer from diabetes when I'm Mum's age.

I don't do New Year's resolutions, so I haven't got any to share with you. I hope you all enjoy your New Year's Eve celebrations and that 2008 brings you everything you wish for yourselves. All the best.

6 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

Well done on the bargain hunting, sounds like you shopped up a storm. Hope you get all your wishes in 2008, I've enjoyed reading your blog this year and look forward to seeing your further progress next year.

Kathryn said...

I was very tempted to head to Highpoint today just for the Enell bras but decided I could drive no further than Northland in my un-air conditioned car!

I got a few bargains today to, a running skirt at Rebel for $24. It was in the tennis section but it's in tech fabric and black so no one will ever know.

jojo said...

..great shopping.. my kinda gal ;)

MorseyRuns said...

You could shop for Australia and be a gold medal chance! Hope you have a great new year too.

lg said...

Gotta love sports stuff on special - I bought a running top when I was 8 months pregnant just because it was on sale and hoped I would fit into it one day again

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Kathy.

I'm with you. I don't do resolutions either.

Keep up the shopping, it's a great way to keep motivated.

Hope 2008 is a good one for you.