Friday 16 November 2007

Personal training with Krissi

This morning Krissi was meeting me at my place as there's a gym in the apartment building. I thought about going up to the door to meet her, but I realised that Krissi would probably arrive via the balcony. Sure enough I looked out the window when she was due to arrive, and there she was. It's a pretty good service when you don't even have to leave your apartment building for your PT session.

We started off with the health check and goal questionnaire and my latest stretch goal is finally in writing as a definite goal. I've been hedging around it and I've only just started mentioning it to people as a sort of "I'm trying not to think about it" sort of thing. Yep, I'm going to run a half marathon next year, probably the Canberra Half in May.

I'm also seriously thinking about doing a Novice Women's Triathlon Training program. It includes six weeks of training (one session per discipline each week) and four education seminars, leading into the Women and Girls' Triathlon on Sunday, 3 February 2008. It also includes entry into the the final two races of the TACT novice series and membership of FIT (Females in Training) and TACT (Triathlon ACT). All this for $220. To me, that sounds like a pretty good deal. Training starts in December, so I'm going to have to make up my mind pretty soon.

Once Krissi had those goals on paper she measured my blood pressure, then produced the calipers and a measuring tape. The pinch test didn't hurt as much as I expected. It was interesting to experience how it was done and the results weren't as horrendous as I expected, especially after getting my %fat from a scales yesterday.

Now, I'm a little embarrassed to write this next bit. I have gone to a lot of trouble to avoid mentioning in my blog that my apartment is right next door to the gym. Even though it's next door I have only used it a couple of times in the almost three years that I have been living here. It has one of those universal gym setups in the middle of the room, a cross-trainer, a bike and a rowing machine. Residents are able to use the gym between the hours of 6 am and 10 pm, seven days a week, so I really have no excuse for not being able to get to the gym.

Today, Krissi took me in there and worked out a strength program for me to do in there. She's already typed it up and emailed it to me. She showed me how to use all the various bits and pieces, so I have no excuse not to use the gym now.

I really enjoyed my first non-Fernwood PT session with Krissi, but then again, I fully expected it to be great.

Oh, a funny story. My sister messaged me tonight - my niece and nephew, Laura and Michael, told her that I was taking them running this Sunday. She told them the fun run was the following Sunday, but they assured her that we were practising this Sunday. Now I'm doing SiS3 this weekend, and there's no way that I'm taking them on an 8 km run with me. I don't know where they got the idea about the practice session, but I'm going to pick them up tomorrow morning and take them for a run. We'll be heading out a little later than usual, as I don't even arrive in Melbourne until 8 am. These two have only come running with me once before so I think a practice session is probably a good idea - it will build their confidence before the fun run. The others are playing their usual Saturday sport so it will be just the three of us. I've no idea where I'll take them, but I'm sure I'll think of somewhere interesting.

No comments: