Wednesday, 9 May 2007

Run and Squash

This morning I went for my planned run. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, but I didn't find it at all hard to get up. It must have become a habit! At last! It's so much easier to get out of bed when you're not having the "will I, won't I?" discussion with yourself.

I decided to run down to the lake through town instead of along the bike path, as there is much better lighting. I made myself warm up this morning, as I figure I'd better get into that habit now that it's getting cold. I find it hard to take the time to warm up slowly.

I wore my brand new fuel belt for the first time today. I didn't like it at all for the first few minutes and then I more or less forgot it was there, except for when I had a drink. It was really comfortable, although I'm not sure if it will chafe or not over longer distances. I wore it over my jacket today, so there was extra padding between me and it. I did notice it around my waist a little after about half an hour, but then I was distracted by my foot. My new shoes have a little more arch support than I'm used to, and I was very aware of my right foot after I'd run for half an hour. Sure enough, I have the start of a blister up near the ball of my foot.

I'm not all that sure what to do about it. I saw on the ausrun forum that popping it was a good idea, but I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain, even little pain. I have an 8 km run on Sunday though, so I'm going to have to do something. It's a small blister. I'll hope that it disappears overnight!

I ended up running for about 40 minutes, before cooling down and then stretching. I was already later than I'd planned to be, so I went to the complex gym instead of going into my apartment and stretched for 10 minutes. I knew that I'd skip the stretching or do a half-hearted job if I went straight home.

Because I was late, I ended up cabbing it to work. I had to wait ages for a cab because parliament is sitting. I'm going to have to take the sitting dates into consideration when I'm planning my exercise schedule! Mind you, I finish at work on Friday, so I'll have plenty of time for running over the next few weeks. At least until I find myself a job.

I was rung up about a possible job yesterday (I'm an IT contractor and find work through recruitment agents) and I was all excited about the location. It's the other side of the lake from where I live, so I could ride to work, and then go for a run around the lake at lunchtime. I ended up laughing at myself, as neither of those two considerations would have rated a thought in the job hunting process in the past. I'm definitely a changed woman.

Murali and I played squash this afternoon. As ever, we were evenly matched. It was great fun, but my legs were really tired. I guess I've been working them fairly hard this week.


Sarah said...

I've had the same problem with my new shoes - there's more arch support and I've had blisters on both feet on the arches towards the ball of my big toe. I've found if you pop them, make sure you leave the skin in tact, so don't pull the skin off at all, just use a needle to prick a hole in the blister, you can drain it and it should heal up nicely for your run by the weekend.

Em said...

Go on, pop it, it's not that bad really and hurts heaps less in the long run than a big fat nasty blister.