Sunday 11 May 2008

Mother's Day Classic - 5 km

I really don't know where my head is at. I wasn't going to run at all today because I haven't done much running lately. For some reason I was thinking that if I couldn't run a decent time I shouldn't run at all. Considering that my running goals don't include running fast, it made absolutely no sense that I should be bothered by time.

On Friday Krissi asked me if I was doing the run in Melbourne. I had intended to run the 8 km event with my nephew but the combination of Mother's Day and his father's birthday had him deciding he didn't want to miss out on any of the morning's festivities. I was secretly relieved as I had the whole I-shouldn't-be-running thing going on in my head already. I told Krissi why I wasn't going to run and she suggested that I give Lola a call to see if I could run/walk with her. Lola is having radiation treatment for breast cancer at the moment.

Straight away that took away any concern I had about the time. I called Lola on Friday and arranged to do the run with her. She had run the course the day before with a workmate who would also do the MDC with her. We arranged that Lola would pick me up on the Sunday morning. Just as well, as it was a real effort to get out of bed this morning. If I'd been getting there under my own steam I may well have given it a miss.

This year the MDC had relocated and we were effectively running bridge-to-bridge. This is a regular run around the central basin of Lake Burley Griffin for many Canberrans. Being a familiar course, I knew exactly what I was in for .. a couple of hills going up to the two bridges, lovely scenery, and an enjoyable run. I had to fill in my entry form at the event. I hadn't realised there was a $3 fee for the timing tags. I'd brought the exact money with me. Luckily for me, it wasn't a drama as they'd run out of timing tags. Phew!

I ran into so many people that I knew. I expected to meet the running girls but it was lovely to bump into people from the gym and from work. I'm one of these people who doesn't expect to see anyone they know so it's a pleasant surprise every time I do bump into someone.

The organisers had the walkers starting off 5 minutes after the runners and were directing traffic at the start line. Fortunately for me, the girls were happy to start near the back of the runners, so I was able to smuggle myself in with them. There were plenty of other people with pink numbers who were running. The start wasn't as much of a shemozzle as other fun runs I've been to, partly because there was plenty of space and partly because most of the walkers were back at their start.

Lola headed off at a steady pace and Julia and I kept up with her. Julia's a beginning runner so she's still at the stage where the first km feels as though it's a mountain. She did an excellent job though, only dropping back to a walk on a few occasions. After we'd gone about 2 km it was clear that Lola was really struggling to stay back with Julia. I could tell that Lola was concerned that if she held back she wouldn't last the distance, so I suggested that she head off at her own speed and I'd run with Julia. I was wondering what this poor woman would think, having a total stranger jog along beside her, encouraging her around the lake. Anyway, I know it helps me to have someone distract me, so I blathered on regardless. We ended up getting to the finish line in 40 minutes. On the way through I was handed a spot prize, which I was pleased about.

When I'd registered there was a sign up saying that there weren't enough showbags or medals. When we finished, I queued up with Julia anyway. I figured that the worst thing that would happen was they'd see my number and say I couldn't have a showbag. Luckily that didn't happen and I got my showbag. I was really pleased to see the lunchbox. It's the perfect size to take with me when I ride to work.

It was a fabulous day. I really enjoyed myself.

4 comments:

jojo said...

glad you enjoyed it

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a good day out. So what was the spot prize you got?

Andrew(ajh) said...

Glad you had a good day the MDC is a great event.

Anonymous said...

How cool that so many of us were doing the same event on the same day all over the country!

Great showbag too, worth it just for the cute lunch box.